Portrait of Edwin O Sachs
Edwin Otho Sachs was appointed technical advisor to the Royal Opera House in 1898, where he introduced the first major changes to the theatre, both front and back of House, since it had opened in 1858. He combined his training as an architect and engineer with his life-long interest in the prevention of fires to install state of the art stage machinery and fire safety measures.
This photograph of Edwin Sachs was in the collection of his daughter-in-law, Lady Sachs, who allowed ROH Collections to make a copy of it. It appeared in an article in The Sketch entitled ‘Reconstruction of the Opera Stage: A Chat with Mr Edwin O. Sachs’ (3 April 1901, p426).